Friday, March 25, 2016

I voted for Eisenhower when I turned 18.  Every one in my family were Democrats, so I didn't tell anyone.  Especially my Grandmother--I think she would have disowned me.

Every election since then, I have voted.  Sometimes Democrat, sometimes Republican, and once, Independant.  Perot's V.P. running mate played football with Ken when they were in flight school.  Vice Adm. James B. Stockdale, a highly decorated Navy pilot who inspired fellow prisoners of war in North Vietnam.  (Senior prisoner of war.)   I don't even remember who the other choices were.

There are lots of reasons to vote "this way" or "that way."  Unless you are a staunch pol.  Which I don't seem to be--due to what is wrong in both parties.  They both make me mad.  And after 60 years of presidents, I am disappointed with them all.  I want statesmen--and wonder where they are.

I voted for Carter, who was ineffective as a President (but highly effective as an ambassador),  because my dad did.  Daddy said that he had promised God that if a Christian ran, he would vote for him.   I figured that if he was good enough for my dad, he was good enough for me.

I voted for John McCain because Ken knew him and was going to vote for him.

I sound wishy-washy.  I'm not.  I have just lost faith in politics.  In the last sixty years, since I voted at the age of 18, I have yet to see much that cheers me up.  Or causes me to believe in any of them.

If someone would say that they absolutely would balance the budget, I would vote for them.  But I wouldn't really believe that they would do it.

I think it is time to pray for our country.   All of us want to vote right.  We need the help of God.  He alone is in control anyway.   I think I will stop watching T.V.  It's depressing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment