Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I lost my glasses three weeks ago.  I have looked everywhere I can think of, but--no glasses.  I usually put them on top of my head, so I even went out to the garden and searched through the tomato bushes, thinking that they might have fallen off my head when I was picking tomatoes. 

I have been struggling with some old ones that aren't quite in focus, and it is maddening to say the least.  But I knew that if I bought new ones, I would then find my old ones.  You know how that is.  But yesterday I gave up, took an old frame in and ordered new lenses.   I am expecting to find my old glasses any minute now.

When things aren't in focus in your life; when you are trying to make a decision and can't quite get it all straight in your mind; when you have an idea of what you want to do but can't quite pull all the pieces together, I have found that the best thing to do is just wait awhile.  It usually comes to you.   I normally just say something to God like, "I can't figure this out.  Can you give me some help?"

My prayers are pretty simple.  I don't generally have preambles, extra words, and long intervals.  When I hear some people pray long, long prayers in public, I admit that I wonder if they are trying to "Catch up."  Then I ask God to forgive me for being judgmental since I haven't heard from Him that my prayers are any better.

I don't ask Him what I should wear, eat, shop for, when to do the laundry, etc., etc.  God gave me a brain to think with and I try to use it.  But when there is a decision to make that could have several outcomes, I pray.   There are two things going on here.  Wisdom, and prayer.  Experience gives us wisdom, and God gives us prayer.  We need both to make good decisions.   Like the soldiers said in battle, "Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition."

No comments:

Post a Comment