Friday, July 1, 2016

My mom's older brother, Ray, was  in the Navy in World War 2.  He was very, very smart.  He was enlisted, but since he had a college education, the Navy had him teach Physics at the Naval Academy. After the war, he was a principal and taught physics in a couple of small Oklahoma towns.  Two of his physics students went on to become Rhode Scholars.  Unusual for the likes of small towns in Oklahoma.  He was Oklahoma's teacher of the year one year.

Mom's other brother, Thurman, (he was the youngest in the family) graduated from high school when he was fifteen or sixteen. Sister Ruby worked and sent him to college at OU.  He got a chemical engineering degree before he was twenty.  He was the oil person in charge of sinking the well that is on the capital lawn in Oklahoma City.  He spent most of his life in Venezuela.

All five of them graduated from college.  Their mother, Gran, had an eighth grade education.  Pops, a second grade education.  They farmed.  It was a hard life in the twenties, but they both were determined that all five of their children would finish college and have an easier life than they had.

Ruby worked, and waited to get married until all of her siblings were finished with college.  (In those days, a single woman couldn't get married and keep teaching.)  As soon as Thurman graduated, Ruby and Cleo got married.  She was thirty years old by then.  They all sacrificed for their education.

So, the next generation, my generation, was expected to go to college.  Which they all did.  Except me.  I got married at eighteen and disappointed everyone in the family. (Even though they were thrilled that I was going to marry Ken since they all knew him.)  So I had to make a solemn promise that I would start college that year.  But we were only going to be in Pensacola for a few months,  not long enough to complete a semester, so I put it off, and of course, four months later I was pregnant.  Four babies later, when Ken was overseas, I finally got around to college.   And that is another story. 

My mother's family.  From humble parents and humble beginnings.  Only in America.  

No comments:

Post a Comment