Friday, July 8, 2016

There is a little restaurant in Harrah, Oklahoma that has really super catfish.  I try to make it over there on Friday every now and then.  It's a thirty minute drive, but it's worth it.  Pat works at the library in Harrah, so we meet up sometimes.  Last week, I took my friend Arteen with me, (Yes, I have finally made a friend here in Edmond that is ready to hop and go), and she loved it, too.
 
When anyone calls and asks me to go eat, and follow that with, "Where do you want to go?"  I ask, "What do you want to eat?"  Seems like every diner has something that they are known for.  Something that they do better than anyone else. 

There are some meals that I have had that I will never forget:  Shrimp Newburg at the Officer's club in Quantico, Va.  Pecan crusted catfish at a little place as you cross the bridge going East in Vicksburg, Mississippi.  Crab stuffed shrimp at the Driftwood in Pensacola, Florida.  And so on.  I wish I could eat those meals again.  But you can't go back.  Those places are long gone I am sure.

I guess I am thinking about food because it's Friday.  I'm not Catholic, but I think they have a really good idea about eating fish on Friday.  We should all eat seafood more often.

Every Christian denomination has its peculiarities.  Baptists think you have to immersed when you are baptized.  This view is not held by some.  Some churches think you have to be baptized to be saved.  Some churches sprinkle.  If there weren't differences of opinion, there wouldn't be so many denominations.  But central to all is the fact that God became a man who lived a perfect life and went to a cross as a sacrifice for our sins.  But the most important thing is that He rose again--as witnessed by thousands--and conquered death.  So that we can live, and be reconciled to God himself.

We are all of us--who believe, who have faith in him--His children. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment