Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Sunday I embarrassed myself.  The church service had a patriotic theme and after we had sung a number of patriotic songs, the choir preformed a special that tore me up.  They sang a specially arranged composition comprised of the songs of each of the services.  It was so moving.  As the military service was recognized in song, the veterans from that service stood to be recognized.

I just can't get through something like that without crying.  And once I start, I can't stop.  The composition of songs ended with the Marine Corps hymn and by then I was a mess.   The man in the pew behind me was a Marine, and his wife leaned over and whispered, "They also serve who stay at home and wait."  How true.

Well, that did it.  I finally had to leave.  I am not a crier.  I just don't do that, especially in public.  I try to avoid patriotic events just because of the flag raising.  It breaks my heart.  Too many young men.  Too many caskets.  Too many wars in my lifetime.

I never cry when I am in physical pain.  I remember once when I had committed some offense (probably sassing my mother),  my dad spanked me, and when he had given me a couple of licks, he said, "Janie, start crying so I can stop this."  I told him, "No."  He said, "Well, that's it.  I will never spank you again."  And he never did.  I did try to do better after that.  I don't know if I succeeded.

Back then, everyone spanked their kids.  Probably because we took the scripture to heart that said, "Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them." Proverbs 13:24  Back then, It was accepted that when you committed an infraction of the rules, you were going to get a spanking.  At home, and at school.  Now, we don't do that very much.  As a matter of fact, some parents don't discipline their children in any way at all--to the detriment of society.  I cringe sometimes when I am in public at the behavior of some children nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment