Wednesday, November 20, 2019

I've been once again reading through the New Testament.  I'm in Hebrews now.  Every time I read any of it, I find something new.

But recently, I picked up a Bible that I hadn't used in awhile, and flipped through the Old Testament pages.  I got amused at myself.

I had underlined every verse in every Old Testament book that I wanted to refer back to someday.  But at the beginning of a few of the minor prophets, I had written myself a note.  "Done.  You don't have to read this again."

I think I was saying that: other than the verses I underlined, the rest of that part wasn't interesting?  Or repetitive?  Or instructional?

Probably I was saying to myself that there were only so many hours in a year and that I should spend my time on the other parts of the Bible?

So...I read those "done" parts again.  And in the end, I agreed with my first analysis.  I didn't need to read those again.  And, I didn't underline any new verses.  So I'm going to give myself a pass.  I'll read them again I'm sure because I won't really believe you are ever "done" with a part of the Bible. 

But some of the pages in my Bible's Old Testament are worn out from reading them over and over.  Some of those OT books have multiple parts underlined and notes in the margins.  Genesis is tattered and tea stained.

I think some of the parts of the Bible are more important to us than others.  Otherwise, why would we memorize some verses and not others.  Everybody knows John 3:16.  Do I think you should skip parts?  Of course not.  But if you are one of those who read the whole thing every year just to say that you did it, I give you a hall pass.  Read Hebrews, Luke, 1 John and Romans twice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment