Monday, April 27, 2020

Sunday, I explained to my class (on Zoom--yes, I'm "With it") that when you are reading a book in the New Testament (they are all small) there are three questions you need to know as you approach the book.

1.  What is it?   Is it a (gospel) telling about Jesus time on earth, his words?  Is it a personal letter to someone such as Timothy (1st and 2nd).  Is it history--such as Acts?  Or is it a warning or prophecy: Revelation.  What is it?

2.  Who wrote it.  Every writer has a "signiture" style.  Matthew's gospel is very different from Luke's.  James style is very different from Peter's.  Or Paul's.  

3.  Who is it being written to?   When Ken was overseas, I wrote to him.  I was in California at the time, so I also wrote to my folks in Oklahoma.  The person I was writing to determined the content.  Same style, you could tell I had written it, but different information.  Who is this letter written for?

In the book of Romans, those three questions are answered.  First: It is a letter.  Second:  Paul is the author.  And third: It is written to the Jews.  

Paul pours his heart out to Israel, 10:1 "...my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they might be saved." These are his people.  This is his country.  This has been his religion for his entire life--until he found Jesus.
He explains to them that Christ came for everyone.  That it is not necessary to become a Jew first and follow their rituals to be saved.  Salvation is by faith and the blood of Christ which was spilled for everyone.  "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God."  Jews included.

The letter is personal--from Paul to his people.  He pours out his heart, and writes the most important book in the Bible as far as I am concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment