Tuesday, April 3, 2018

When I got up this morning, the weather was lovely.  I put on my work clothes to go spread mulch on my flower beds, but by the time I got myself together, the temperature had dropped to the low 40's and the wind was 35 miles an hours.  This is Oklahoma.  If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.  I can tolerate everything but the wind.  When Rodgers and Hammersteine wrote the musical "Oklahoma,"  the words, "...where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain..." were very accurate.  Any kind of wind you can imagine--we have it in Oklahoma.

Scott reports that he is getting a lot of flack about the "Streaking" story I wrote.  People think it is funny.  I say, he shouldn't have gone streaking.  Pryor is small, and if you do something notable--like streaking through the neighborhood--everybody in town knows about it anyway.

If you do something you probably shouldn't have done, your mom will hear about it before the sun sets.  She'll get a phone call.  I got a phone call from the Claremore Police one evening, and Claremore is 17 miles away.  "Are you Jon Jacks mom?"  I told him I was.  "Well, you need to come get him and his friends.  I'm holding them until you get here to pick them up."

Seems that Jon and his buddies were roasting hot dogs on Claremore's "Eternal Flame."  Claremore and Pryor had (have) a fierce rivalry in football.  Jon's football team thought it would be funny to "dis" Claremore by using their flame to roast their hot dogs.  It was funny.  However, Claremore's team was getting ready to try and trash Jon and his friends when the Police showed up.  The Police were just trying to delay the fight--until the game on Friday.  Nothing illegal.  Just another one of those things I didn't tell Jon not to do.  If you raised girls, and not boys--it's a whole new ball game raising boys.  I had two girls before I had the two boys.  It didn't prepare me.

Jon was easier to raise, but that really doesn't mean anything.  Kids are kids.  They'll wear you out.

By the grace of God, you'll get the job done.  Scott and Jon grew up to be responsible citizens, hard workers and good, loving family men.  I take all the credit.




No comments:

Post a Comment