Friday, September 16, 2022

My yard man (who put in my raised garden) broke his leg (knee) a year ago and has been down and out.   He came today and spread mulch in the front flower bed where I had been fighting weeds.  He’s going to come back next week and trim the hedges and the suckers on the oak trees out front.  Thank God he is able to work.  For me, and for himself.

The spider lilies are gone.  They have a week of glory every September, and then they are done.  But what a week it is.

I’ve had to give up garage sales for the most part.  I ride with Ann to keep her company, and sit in the car and do the crossword.  We went to I-hop this morning and the poor manager-waitress was trying to hold the place down by herself.  Nobody had showed up for work.  One of the customers had been a waitress in younger years and hopped up and started helping.  So did Ann and I.  Some of the workers started dribbling in, but for awhile, I was doubtful they had enough people to get our breakfast to us.

I guess that’s’ the way it is all over.  By the time you pay for childcare, and gasoline, you don't make enough to make a trip to work worthwhile.  People have been complaining about raising the minimum wage for years.  I think it has been done--not by the government, but by companies.  You can’t make a product without workers.  And of course, when you pay people a decent wage, prices go up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment