Thursday, September 29, 2022

All of us have been glued to the TV watching the storm...at least I was.  Ann’s son Will was just south of the eye near the shore.  He kept us us up to date with pictures.  I texted him this morning to see if he lost his car to water and he reported (thankfully) that all was well.

They are saying that the hurricane is going to hit S. Carolina.  I lived in Beaufort S. Carolina for three years and we endured a direct hit.  Military came to our houses and hammered plywood on our windows.  Our house was three blocks from the water.  It was scary.  I was by myself and responsible for three children.

And of course...as was usually the case in things like that...The pilots were charged with saving the planes.  They flew them inland and spent the time playing Acey-ducy till it was all over.  Women and children were left to the base emergency crews.  First things first.

Out of five births, Ken was there for one that I know of.  I’m not sure about Jonathan.  My heart failed, I was unconscious, and don’t remember that one.  

Sometimes I look back and wonder about that very young girl (four of those births by the time I was twenty-five).  Where did her grit come from?  I had no idea what I was getting into by marrying a Marine fighter pilot.  But to tell the truth, I would do it all over again.  There was never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment