Monday, June 22, 2015

An interesting dynamic in my family has changed since Ken died.  My sister, who is 21 years younger than I am. (Yes, my mom and dad were well past childbearing years but--like Abraham and Sarah who had a son in their later years--along came Lisa.)

I had always thought of Lisa as kind of like one of my children.  She is the exact same age as my second daughter.  They are 7 days apart.  So, Pat, Lisa, and Becky grew up together more like sisters.

But when Ken was gone, Lisa started calling me every day to check on me.  And little by little, instead of being one of my children, we became really good friends.  It's easier to ignore the age difference after fifty.  She has really made an effort to make sure everything is alright with me every day.  It's nice.  I need all the friends that I can get.

I went back to the same church this morning, but to a different class.  I am going to try all the classes before I make a decision of whether or not this will be my church.  I met the pastor and he had been the pastor of a church not twenty miles south of Pryor in Inola.  He knew everyone in Pryor well, because they were in the same regional association.  That is a good thing.  He knows the people that I know.

Proverbs 18:24 "A man that has friends must show himself friendly; and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. (Jesus)"

So.  I am trying to be friendly.  I am also trying to keep my mouth shut which is hard for me because I am a much better talker than a listener.  I am trying to be a good listener, but it isn't one of my strong points.  I did memorize everyone's names.  I'm trying.  I'm trying.



No comments:

Post a Comment