Friday, June 5, 2015

Today, I went through all the stuff that came out of "The Drawer."  You know the one I mean.  The one that catches all the finger nail clippers, paper clips, odd keys, pieces of things you found lying around that you are sure you will need--so you can't throw any of it away.  I had three drawers like that.

I dumped all of them into a couple of grocery bags and did a Scarlett O'Hara.  "I'll think about that tomorrow."  Well tomorrow came.  I turned the bags upside down on the dining room table and dug in.  There were strange things in there.  A toggle, a square screw, etc...and on and on.  If I didn't know where it came from, I tossed it.  It felt great.

We accumulate junk in our spiritual life as well.  I am rereading "The Saving Life of Christ" by Ian Thomas.  It was the book that changed my life.  Everyone has a book like that.  I equated with him when he said, "I was exhausted by the Christian life.  I was doing everything possible to be an exemplary Christian and was worn out with all the "doing good."  He told his own account of the day he got on his knees and said to God, "I can't do this anymore."

And he said that he heard a voice in his soul that said, "You've been doing for me for seven years all the things that I have been waiting to do through you."

"Faithful is he who calls you who also will do it."  1 Thessalonians 5:24  You don't have to grunt and groan to be what God wants.  He just wants you to be willing to be his servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment