Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Every now and then--when I get lazy--I use my memory rather than checking something out.  Well, I made a big mistake yesterday in attributing a quote to C.S. Lewis rather than Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  Who said:  "When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die."  I knew better.  It was from one of Ken's favorite books and he quoted Bonhoeffer regularly.

I bought 68 pots of lilies today.  There is no way I can possibly plant them all, but the manager at the nursery made me such a deal I couldn't pass them up.  They had been 6 and 7 dollars apiece, and he let me have them for fifty cents apiece.  So I gave half of them to Ann and Becky. They are dropping petals, but if I can get them in the ground tomorrow, they will be spectacular next year.  I can never pass up a great bargain.  My rule is that when you find something that spectacular, you don't ask yourself how many you want to buy.  You just buy them all.  And you give them away.  So I did.

The same thing happened to me last year, and I gave half of those to friends (Joann and Kathy) in Pryor.  I was wondering how I was going to ever get "starts" of the lilies I had planted in Pryor, but now  I don't have to worry with that.  God is good.  I love lilies.

Now I have to get them in the ground.

Jesus said:  Matthew 6:27-29  "Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit to his stature?  And why do you take thought for your clothes?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they don't toil, neither do they spin.  And yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."

If Jesus used lilies as an object lesson, they must be one of His favorite flowers.

I like them, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment