Monday, July 2, 2018

I spent Thursday and Friday in Pryor.  Got my hair cut.  I have to find a beautician in Edmond that can cut my hair.  Driving to Pryor for a haircut is nuts.  I stayed with my brother Bill and wife Janet and that is always wonderful.  They live in the country and it is so peaceful.  We sat on the porch swing and watched the humming birds.  Cardinals, woodpeckers, orioles and a dozen others came and went from the bird feeders.  Bill and Janet have been adopted by a very pretty calico cat that comes to the door when she is hungry.  She eats and then leaves for "Who knows where."

I stopped in Tulsa and had lunch with a friend that I hadn't seen in 62 years.  And I finally got the real story of how the Claremore swimming pool water turned yellow--yellow indicating the "perpetrators" description of the Claremore football team.  I knew that whoever actually did it used WW2 marker dye.  Dye that was used in ocean water to spread out on the surface of the water--so that survivors of airplane crashes or ship bombings could be spotted.  But where did they find the WW2 marker dye?  Who found it?  Who put it in the pool?   Now there are six of us who know.  I wouldn't want to name the other five guys.  I don't want to get in trouble with my friends.

It was really fun to return to 1954-56 for an hour.  We swapped stories, ate shrimp and catfish, and had an enjoyable break in both of our lives.  All of my best girl friends from that time are gone.  Betsy Gaither, Barbra Roy, Chrystal Tankersly, Peggy Panter...I could name a dozen more.  And the memories that we held in common are gone as well.  I'm the last leaf on the tree.  We grew up in the most wonderful time in the history of America.

I got to see Carolyn.  She is home from the Nursing Care facility learning how to function without standing on her foot that had surgery.  Doing wheelies in her wheel chair.  I stopped to say hello to a friend who brought homemade coconut pie to Ken every week when he couldn't eat much of anything else.  She was so faithful to do that.  And last week, she lost her husband.  He was a WW2 D-day landing survivor.  The greatest generation.  I stopped at Judy Baumert's house.  She has a sign near her front door that says, "Until God opens the next door, praise him in the hallway."  She lives by that.

Every time I go to Pryor, I try to see a few friends.  I don't have time to see them all, I keep a list! But next time I go, I'll try to see Amy Smith--she sends me cards and letters.   Who does that anymore!!











No comments:

Post a Comment