Wednesday, July 17, 2019

I wish I had paid better attention to the things Ken told me.  There were a million pieces of his life that were so interesting, but the only things I have are the things that I wrote down and a few random things that I remember.

I was raising four kids.  And of course, all of us think, I'll write that down some day.  Or, I'll do that tomorrow when I have some free time.  It was the same thing with my dad's life.  It was so interesting--and I didn't write it down.

What I would say that I learned from all of that is that "someday" probably should be today--when you have something that you want to remember.  Time has a way of slipping through our fingers and all our good intentions are for nought if we don't put them into action and write it down.

My daughter Pat did something invaluable for me.  She took all the family pictures (black and white) and organized them and wrote a page or two about each of their lives.  It involved her reading a lot of old letters etc. and was a huge endeavor.  

But she did it, and it is permanent.  Every time I pick it up, I learn something because there are too many details for me to remember in one sitting.  And I am so thankful she did it for me.  Come to find out, she did it for everyone including my Brother.  

This book of the heritage of my people covers five or six generations back in time and will be read by five or six or more generations to come.

I guess what I am saying is:  Write down the things that happened in your life.  Your children and grandchildren will have a better idea of where they came from.  And as Christians, it gives the coming generations knowledge of their Godly foundation.  Maybe it will inspire them to pursue God's path.

No comments:

Post a Comment