Tuesday, August 13, 2019

My Mac can do anything.  Problem is, I can't.  The simplest things escape me.  Same with my phone.

Learning a language takes years.  Just think how a child learns English.  First they learn nouns: Ball, chair, water, etc.  The other words just "come" and fit in because they hear them over and over: The ball, A chair, wet water.  Words by association.  Adjectives, adverbs, etc.

With my computer, I spend half my time trying to go backwards to where I was a minute before.  I have learned about Command Z, X, C, and V.  It took forever.  I was erasing my trash, one item at a time, until Craig showed me how to use the Shift key to erase a column.  Where do you learn things like that!!

Jeanette bought me a Word for Dummies book. (I had been using Pages and didn't realize I had to buy Word and have it installed.)  I can hardly read the book.  It assumes I know the language when it explains something.

The rest of the world learned the words as they went along.  I got presented with the entire dictionary of words all at once and don't know what is important and what isn't.  I am constantly calling my daughter Pat asking for help.

I had Word installed because Pat said she could help me more easily if I was using what she uses.  I have never in my life seen so many little pictures, (icons) that are trying to help me, but just confuse me. "Pages" was simpler.

I think I need a Model T, but own a Jag.  I learned to drive with four on the floor and a clutch.  I'm thankful for all this power on my computer, but am learning to use it very, very slowly.  It drives me nuts.  I feel like the only person in the universe who can't keep up.  Just when I think I've got something down pat, someone out there changes it.  Obsolete occurs instaneously anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment