Tuesday, August 20, 2019

My publisher came Monday with a bound edition of my book.  They had revised it.  The entire writing style had been formalized, and I don't write like that.  To say that I didn't like what they did would be an understatement.

I am supposed to give final approval to it.  Which I won't do.  I am having to go back to the original edition and go over every word in 204 pages to see what they changed and fix it.

I did 9 pages last night and am pulling my hair out.  They aren't going to be happy, but I don't really care. If they wanted a book in a formal style they should have written it themselves.  They like words like "did you" instead of "did'ja" when a nine year old boy is the speaker.  Sorry, but no.

I didn't think they would change it.  I thought they would make corrections.  There is a big difference.

I've been reading books since I was six years old.  My mom said that if we were reading, we didn't have to help with the housework.  So I made sure that I was always reading something.  She didn't care if it was Shakespeare or Wonder Woman.  Just as long as I was reading.  

Reading increases you're vocabulary.  It also gives you discretion.  You learn what is interesting and what is boring.  And that doesn't take very long.  You will eventually discard authors that aren't worth your time.  

I know there are some changes that need to be made.  I'm willing to make changes.  I'm not willing to convert to a different style.  Right now, I'm "fuzzed up."  Editorial correction would be: "Disturbed."


No comments:

Post a Comment