Thursday, March 2, 2023

    We had ten commandments--which nobody could keep.  But people tried.  Then Jesus came and narrowed it down to two. Surely we could keep two?

1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself.  
    Notice that we are not asked to love others in the same way we love God. If you don't love yourself, you won't be able to fulfill this second commandment.  We take care of ourselves and are to love and care for others in the same way.

But just when you think you can do those two--you've got it down, you can be what God wants you to be--Jesus messes it up and says, "A new commandment I give...that you love others as I have loved you."  As I Have Loved You!  Think about what all that entails!  And once again, we realize that by ourselves, we can never live up to the expectation of God--we are to be like Jesus. Impossible...but He gave us his Spirit that prompts us, reminds us, encourages us, changes us...and I don't have to carry a list around in my pocket anymore.  I have Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment