Thursday, January 24, 2019

God intended for them to be vegetarians.  That changed when Noah landed the ark.  God made a covenant with Noah saying, "Every creature that lives and moves will be food for you; as I gave the green plants, I have given you everything.  However, you must not eat meat with it's lifeblood in it."  They had to kill, and drain the animals of blood before they cooked them.  (I hope that doesn't cover a medium rare ribeye steak???)  Food.  My favorite subject.  I dearly love to eat.  Almost anything.  Except ice cream and milk.  God gave us so many foods.  Variety, and lots of different tasty things.

The first chapter of Genesis ends with this verse, "And God saw everything that he had made and behold, it was very good.  And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."  The previous days ended with, "...it was good."  But when God creates man, and finishes His "creating, letting and making"--it is "very" good.  How could it be otherwise.

As Chapter one of Genesis ends, Chapter two begins with, "Thus, the heavens and the earth were finished and all the host of them."  Earth as we know it was complete.  God was done.  "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it..." A few years ago, I realized that I had allowed every day of the week to meld into one another.  Aside from church, my days were the same.  I didn't have a day in which I rested.  In which I did pleasant, restful things.  I had become compliant to the world as far as shopping was concerned.  So I decided that I would never shop on Sunday ever again.  And I haven't.  It wasn't that hard.  Everyone needs a day that is different from the others.  A day you recognize as a day of rest.  If I don't have any eggs, I don't go get them on Sunday.  I eat cereal.

Genesis 2:4-6, "These are the generations of the heavens and...the earth when they were created, every plant...herb...before it grew...God had not caused it to rain...and there wasn't a man to till the ground.  But...a mist went up from the earth and watered...the ground."  No rain until Noah.

In verse 7, God reviews His creation of man.  Then, in verse 8, God plants a garden in Eden and puts Adam in it.  Then He makes trees to grow in four named categories.  1. Pleasant to the sight--in Oklahoma that would be redbuds. 2. Good for food.  3. The tree of Life.  4. The tree of knowledge of good and evil.  "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden...." It sounds like paradise.  Mangos, pears, peaches, and every pretty blossoming tree.  Cherry blossoms.  Dogwoods.  Plums.


No comments:

Post a Comment