Tuesday, January 1, 2019

I have been watching the TV specials for the New Year.  Flipping channels.  They are equally terrible.  Almost like they are working at it very hard trying to have a good time.  I gave up at 7 PM and turned it off.   On every station, they were drinking, or already drunk.  People seem to be addicted to being entertained.  And if you can't get there, grab a drink.

It is very seldom that I have a conversation with anyone anymore.  On a "subject."  A relevant subject.  People don't discuss issues.  They just argue.  I miss discourse.  This last year I feel like everyone has entrenched on their "Side," and don't know how to listen to anyone anymore.  It has been one of the strangest years that I have lived through.

When I was growing up, people in the family, and friends as well, discussed things.  I don't see much of that anymore.  Facebook is full of diatribe.  Slogans.  Stupid stuff.

I wish the world would learn to respect each other.  If you look at Fox, try a day of CNN.  If you look at CNN, try a day of Fox.  That's what I try to do.  I figure that somewhere in the middle of it, I might get a grain of truth.  It's hard to find truth in the news anymore.  There is so much bias.  I read a newspaper everyday, but that doesn't give me much more.

The only written  words I can trust are the words of God.  I've lived a long, long time, and through it all, the Word of God remains trustworthy.  "Love your neighbor as yourself."  And, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."  Philippians 4:8

True, honest, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtue, praise.........think.  The operative word is "Think."

And what I think is that part of the problem is that there is so much information out there that it is impossible to see through it.  I'm going to spend more time this year in God's word.  That's the only thing that will remain true ten years from now.  And it is the one thing we can all count on.


No comments:

Post a Comment