Tuesday, October 8, 2019

The thing that protects people on my street and the people on your street is that almost everyone in an established neighborhood is honest and watches out for each other.   We are non-violent and honest by an unspoken agreement, so that we can live in peace and not fear each other.  We don't for the most part need police protection.  Most of us follow unspoken rules.  Mow the lawn...etc.

I can't imagine what it would be like to fear my neighbors.  Or live in a community where gunfire is the norm.  I want peace and security from fear.

As I have grown older, it is a big comfort for me that I trust my neighbors.  They check to see if I turn my outside lights on at night, and if I forget to turn them off the next morning by dawn, they call and check on me.

Neighborhoods are made up of similar kinds of people.  Most times by economic stability and educational levels.  We have all kinds of races and ethnicities in my neighborhood.  Race and ethnicity don't seem to be a factor here.

Educational level seems to be the determining factor, because your educational level determines the kind of job you qualify for.  And subsequently your income, which determines the type of house you buy.  And the area it is in.

America has always been known for our commitment to education for all.  But somewhere along the way, we have lost our commitment to the "system" of education.  "Everyone makes a passing grade" is the new norm whether they earn it or not.  "Everyone is promoted" whether they have mastered what they need to master or not.  Respect for teachers by students has evaporated.

And teachers, weary of the lack of support are leaving the system.  If we lose education, we will ultimately lose safety in our neighborhoods.  An educated society (for all) is a safer society.  What has happened to us??

No comments:

Post a Comment