Thursday, July 9, 2020

Today I'm on point with my get up in the morning routine.  I am so in a rut that if I don't do my fourteen steps--including Squig's routine--I forget something important--like step fifteen--to blog.  (Like I did yesterday)

I was reminded of Ken telling about why pilots sometimes would land wheels up (if it wasn't for the tower).  You have sequences that you follow.  And if something distracts you..like a bird, or your elbow itches... it is possible to think you completed a step for landing--but you didn't.

Only once in twenty years did he do that.  Probably ten thousand landings at least. But it only takes once.  He was coming in and the tower told him to lower his wheels.  He told them that he had.  "No sir, lower your wheels." 

 He had completed a sequence for landing, something happened in the middle of it and when he returned to the sequence, he had skipped the wheels.  He said it is an eye opener.  

Especially landing in fog when the tower can't see you and you can't see the runway until you are almost on it.  Not a good time for a belly landing--although he had done that before when he got his wheels shot off.

I never had any desire to fly an airplane.  Still don't.  I don't even like to fly IN one.  I never in all those years saw Ken fly.  Why confirm something you really don't want to know.

He left for work every morning.  He came home every night.  The coming home part was what was important.




No comments:

Post a Comment