Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Today, I am remembering to post.  Carolyn and I have been talking about this generation’s problem with grocery shortages.  Most of them don’t know how to cook.

I remember what Ken told me on his first attempts in the kitchen after twenty-one years in the Marines, and over thirty years as a college prof.  He had never (never) in our marriage attempted anything in the kitchen, but I had been in breast cancer recovery and he was fending for himself.

“I think I’ve got it,” he said.  “If you start with good stuff, it will probably turn out good to eat.”  I didn’t correct him.  Before we were married, his mom kept him fed.  In the Marine Corps, he ate at the officer’s mess--which was always top notch.  Linens, crystal, silver, waiters.  And when he married me, I kept him fed.  I didn’t do a good job at first, but he ate what I put in front of him. (Except Spam--supply ship in Korea got bombed and all the cook had to give them was spam.  Spam and eggs.  Spam sandwiches.  Sweet and sour spam on rice.  For months.)

But this generation has never learned the basics to ward off starvation.  If you have flour, cornmeal, eggs, milk and beans...you will survive.  Someone asked me the other day how to make beans. “You boil them in water!!!  If you have a ham bone, throw that in.”  Back in the day, everyone had chickens, a cow, and a hog or two.  Everything you needed along with the flour and cornmeal.  Soda powder, salt and yeast were appreciated.  This new generation doesn’t know where to start.  What happened to those cooking classes in school?  

No comments:

Post a Comment