Thursday, April 14, 2022

 When you don’t have much to do, anywhere to go, or anything else, it’s hard to remember what day it is.  

I took lunch to Jeanette.  She is working an estate sale today and tomorrow for my grandsons Steven and David.  They are learning the business from my daughter Becky--and Jeanette runs the cash register for them.  Jeanette calls them “The boys.”  They are in their 30’s but are still boys to me as well.  

I used to travel with Becky overseas and take one of them (one at a time, I couldn’t manage both of them together).  Becky was working as an engineer for Conoco, and spent a lot of time in Europe--so she had a lot of free miles and would get me a ticket.  She would go to work on some off shore oil rig, and I would take whoever we brought with us an hop a train.

England, France, Germany, the Check Republic, Italy...I can’t remember how many times I went.  It made me aware of how big a mistake America made by abandoning rail transport for passengers.  We built roads.  And cars.  Europe has a fantastic rail system.  We used to have them.  I would get on a train when I was young and go by myself from Sialome Springs to Heavener Okla.  My uncle was a brakeman.  I was probably ten years old.  The trains were always full of passengers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment