Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The only problem is:  "Where is Squig's leash?  Where is my toothbrush?  Where is the Tide?  Where is my shredder?  Where is the garbage can?  Where is the rest of the china? Where.......I'm sure that it will all sort itself out.  I only have a few boxes left to unpack.  Every box I open is a surprise.  Something unexpected in every carton.

I have moved the furniture in the family room four times.  I lift the foot of something (sofa, chair, footstool....etc.) slide one of those round "sliders" under it, sit down on the floor and push with my feet.  You are never too old to get something you want to do done if you want it done badly enough.

The thing I am going to give up is the Schwinn bike in the TV room.  I thought that I wouldn't ride it if I couldn't see TV while I am on it...but my friend Jeanette gave me such good advice.  "Riding it is an act of discipline," she said.  "If you decide to do it, and set a time to do it, then "where it is" is not the problem.  It's discipline.  If you decide to ride the bike, it won't matter where it is.  Put it in the bedroom."  She is so right.  That's what I will do.

Sometimes you need a friend to point you in the right direction because you are blinded by habits that make it impossible to see.  That's what Christian friends do for you when your life needs tweaking. They improve your thinking with words of encouragment.  They improve your behavior by the lives they live.  You want to be better, too.

We become like those we run with.  That's just a sociologic fact.  If your life isn't what you want it to be, check the list of people you habituate.

That is what a church does.  Yes, it is full of hypocrites.  The world is full of them as well.  But people who habituate a church have admitted that they need help to get better.  And by surrounding themselves with others who are on the same path, it becomes easier to do the right things, and harder to do the wrong things.

You are who you run with.  Change your crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment