Friday, January 28, 2022

I am a sucker for hand-carved walnut furniture.  Men used to do that kind of project--just like women used to crochet and make quilts.  Those things have gone by the wayside.

You can’t sell either for much in an estate sale.  (Which my daughter does.  It’s the largest estate company in Oklahoma last I heard)

You also can’t sell china, crystal, or sterling silver flatware.  Except for sterling weight.  Nobody sets a table anymore.  Nobody but a few of us old die-hards.  Everyone wants paper plates.

When Ken made Colonel in the USMC, he bought me the entire set of Gorham La-Scala sterling.  We did a lot of entertaining, but I used it everyday as well.  People said, “You can’t put it in the dishwasher!”  Well, you can.  I did it for fifty years.  

When my grandson David married Jennifer, I gave it all to them.  But I missed it, so when Becky got a sale with that pattern, I bought it.  There weren’t as many pieces, but it is just a memory of a time in my life anyway.  It makes me happy to look at it.  Which is what all of the hand carved walnut furniture does.  Some man carved those pieces for their wife.  Some things are just happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment