Friday, July 10, 2015

Becky and I went to Claremore to visit a ninety three yr. old woman that worked for us for over fifty five years.  She is in a nursing home there--and doing well.  I probably won't see her again.  She was a second mother to my children all the years I was incapacitated with my heart thing.  She was part of our family.  Like I said yesterday, you can't go back.

While we were there, we went to Dot's for a hamburger.  It has been in business since 1955--I think.  Maybe 1956.  It is a hole in the wall on main street and if you haven't eaten there, you've missed a real treat.  They peel and cut their own french fries.  They make their own hamburger patties by hand.  It takes me back to the fifties every time I go there.  I graduated high school in 1956.

The walls are covered with dozens and dozens of quips.  I wrote some down.

Today's menu:  Take it, or leave it.

Unattended children will be given a can of Red Bull and a free puppy.

In God we Trust.  All others pay cash.

We extend credit to anyone 80 or older accompanied by a parent.

I pretend to work here.  They pretend to pay me.

We charge an extra ten dollars if we have to put up with you when you're grouchy.

The list went on and on.  You couldn't help but chuckle.  The book of Proverbs is like that.  I've always called it the book of "buts".  One example:  Pro. 12: 4 "A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that makes him ashamed is as rottenness in his bones."  Pretty descriptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment