Saturday, July 4, 2015

Yesterday I went on an adventure to the last place at the end of nowhere.  Euchie, Oklahoma.  When Pat and I left the hospital, she really wanted to go to Jay, Okla. to the huckleberry festival and get a gallon or two for Thanksgiving cobbler.  She was thinking way ahead.  If you have never tasted huckleberries, you have missed a treat.  But they are very hard to come by.  I wasn't in any pain, so off we went.  She drove.  I rode.

I remember one time Ken and my dad drove to Jay to try and round some up.  "How many shall we get?" my dad asked.  "As many as you can," my mom replied.  Two gallons were the most we had ever found to buy, but that year the bushes exploded with berries and they brought back 16 gallons.  Mom and I were in shock.  "What in the world are we going to do with so many huckleberries," she asked.  Problem solved.  We made huckleberry jam and froze the rest, after we made a cobbler.

Huckleberry pie is my favorite.

Well, there were no berries in Jay this year.  Not a pint. Too much rain.  So they sent us to Euchie.  The backside of nowhere.  Five houses and a tent.  They didn't have any either.

But we had the satisfaction of knowing we had given it our best shot.  Maybe next year.

Matthew 7:7 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

John 16:23 "...Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever you shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it to you."

Next year we will pray first.

No comments:

Post a Comment