Tuesday, July 7, 2015

In the tiny epistle of 1 John, he talks about love in the fourth chapter.  John always referred to himself as the disciple that Jesus loved.  You can tell by the way he writes about his relationship with Jesus just how much it meant to him that Jesus loved him.  (I know how it makes me feel, don't you?)

1 John 4:7-8, 10 "Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loves is born of God, and knows God.  He that doesn't love others does not know God; for God is love.   Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."  He loved us first.

The discussion on Sunday came from these verses.  The teacher commented that there are three types of love discussed in the Bible.  He said that in the old testament, God's love was nearly always reserved for the Israelites.  But in the new testament, God's love was expressed to the entire world through the death of his Son.

1.  Eros:  Physical love

2. Philo:   Love for our fellow man:    John 15:12  "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.  John 15: 12  "This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you."

3. Agapino--I couldn't find the correct spelling of this word: It means loving as God loves.  Jeremiah 31:3  "The Lord has appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved you with an everlasting love: Therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn you."   His Holy Spirit tugs at our hearts.

I doubt I will ever be able to love as God loves.  The best I seem to be able to do is to express love by my actions.  There is always someone in need of food, a visit, or a listening ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment