Friday, July 3, 2015

I have an extremely high threshold of pain.  I can take a lot.  When I went to the military hospital at Pendleton for my first of my five deliveries,  (I was barely 19) the nurse gave me a call button and said to press it when I couldn't stand the pain and she would give me something.  I never did press it because I didn't know when I couldn't take anymore.  She just  happened to check me after a few hours, ran for the door, yelled for the doctor and it was all over in five minutes.  No anesthetic.

In a military ward at that time, there were a number of women in labor--all in one room.  Groaning, yelling, crying, etc.  I for sure wasn't going to be one of that crowd.  I'm pretty tough.

I say all that to say this.  Old people talk about their ailments because they have so many that they are overwhelmed.  Everything is broken, or it hurts.  I have put up with hip pain for years--as it got worse.  But with all the bending and stooping and falling, etc. trying to work in this yard,  the pain had  passed my pain threshold.  So I went to the hospital and had them injected today.  Amazing.  Should have done it years ago.  But I never know when I have reached the point that I can't stand it--until it is too late.  I don't know why I think that I have to wait until I can't stand it.  That part is a puzzle.   I have passed that trait to both my daughters and they both have had horrible emergencies that almost killed them because they didn't know how much pain was enough before you did something about it.  When they hurt themselves as children I would say, "It's just blood.  Get a bandaid."  Ken would say, "It's far from your heart.  You aren't going to die."

In Revelations there is a promise: 21:2-4 "...I, John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven...and I heard a great voice...saying, behold the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them and (he will) be their God.  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.  Sounds great to me.  Not a bad place to end up.  (Look for me in the garden.)



No comments:

Post a Comment