Monday, October 12, 2020

 I flipped on a religious station yesterday where I had never heard the speaker before.  I won't mention it, because it was one of those "Name it and claim it" kind of sermons.  But he said something interesting about the rich man who had such a big harvest that his solution was to build more, and bigger, barns. 

The rich man used the words "I," or "My" eleven times.  He considered himself a self made man and what he made he was going to keep.  All of it--even if it rotted in the barns.  Luke 12:17-19

"What shall I do, (with this abundant harvest) because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do; I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.  And I will say to my soul..Soul, you have much goods laid up for many years.  Take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry." 

What we have comes from God.  This man thought he was in charge and had created an abundant harvest all by himself.  

God said, "You fool."  Pretty well sums it up.  I couldn't help but think of the super rich who will never spend what they have made.  Or the guy who said, "I don't want all the land, I just want the land that is abutting up next to mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment